Silent consonants are letters that are written but not pronounced.
In this lesson, we practice words with silent B.
Silent B: you see written B but you don’t say it.
Now it’s your turn.
Here’s your audio pronunciation quiz.
Is the B silent?
Where do we find silent B?
We find silent b in a small number of words:
- -mb at end of word
- bomb, climb, comb, catacomb,
- crumb, dumb, numb, thumb,
- lamb, limb, womb, tomb,
- to plumb , a plumb line, plumb crazy,
- to succumb, a door jamb, a dithyramb
- -mb + suffixes
- bombs, bombed, bombing, bomber
- climbs , climbed, climbing, climber
- plumber, plumbing
- debt, debts, indebted, debtor
- b is pronounced when in separate syllables
- am-bition, am-bulance, bam-boo, bom-bard,
- bumblebee, combine, crumble, Dumbo,
- lumber, number, symbol, tomboy, umbrella,
- scramble, tremble, nimble, thimble,
- crumble, stumble, tumble, September
- ob-tain, sub-total
Thank you, Larisa.
claudia arias says
Eva Easton says
Thank you for your note.