I wonder how an American pronounces…
recipe … receipt … prescription
Let’s practice from the end of the word:
A recipe is a set of instructions for making food.
Notice that the p is not pronounced:
It’s a piece of paper that shows what you bought and how much you paid for each thing. It’s related to the verb “to receive.”
A prescription is a written message from a doctor that officially tells someone to use a medicine.
script = something written
Listen to each sentence.
Which word fits in the blank space?
Answers are at the end of the blog post.
1. The cashier gave the customer a _______.
2. I went to the pharmacy to pick up my_______.
3. Is that _______________ medicine or can you get it over the counter*? (*without a prescription)
4. I never throw away a _______.
5. This is my favorite cookie _______.
6. We have all our family _______in this cookbook.