I wonder how an American pronounces…
In an earlier blog post, we learned
these 2 words that cause confusion.
In this lesson, we add to our list a 3rd word.
stress on the 2nd syllable
to desert … /tə-dɪ-ˈzɚt/
a deserter … /ə-dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɚ/
desertion … /dɪ-ˈzɚ-ʃɪn/
deserted … /dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɪd/
The man abandoned his military post illegally.
He deserted his post.
If he is convicted of desertion, he will be a deserter.
Sometimes in divorce, a parent will desert the family.
Deserting one’s children is illegal.
A parent who deserts a young child can be taken to court.
This house is deserted.
No one has lived here for many years.
desert … deserted
/ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … /dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɪd/
This is a desert island. = It’s made of sand.
This island looks deserted. = No people live on it.
And now it’s your turn.
Let’s practice these 3 words.
Which word do you hear?
Which syllable is stressed?
How do you spell the word that you hear?
Answers are at the bottom of the page.
9. A parent who _____________ a young child can be taken to court.
Parents are responsible for taking care of their minor children.
11. What’s your favorite _____________?
1. /ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … This cactus grows in an arid desert.
2. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … What’s for dessert tonight? A strawberry tart.
3. /ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … Robinson Crusoe was stranded on a desert island.
/dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɪd/ … He thought it was deserted until he met another man.
4. /dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɪd/ … This house looks deserted, but the window is still okay.
5. /ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … This lizard lives in the desert.
6. /dɪ-ˈzɚ-dɪd/ … The streets are deserted this time of the afternoon.
There is no one on the street in this heat.
7. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … You don’t desert a friend who is in trouble.
As the saying goes, “A friend in need is a friend indeed.”
If a friend helps you when you are in need, they are a true friend.
8. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … It’s strawberry season; we’re having strawberries again for dessert … strawberry shortcake.
9. /dɪ-ˈzɚts/ … A parent who deserts a young child can be taken to court.
Parents are responsibile for taking care of their minor children.
10. /ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … The desert rose is a beautiful flower that is easy to grow.
11. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … What’s your favorite dessert?
12. /ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … The desert fox is on the lookout for food.