I wonder how an American pronounces…
desert … dessert
/ˈdɛ–zɚt/ … /dɪ-ˈzɚt/
1 written s
A teacher gave us a hint once about how to
remember to spell dessert with double ss.
“2 pieces of cake are better than 1.”
stress on the 1st syllable
stress on the 2nd syllable
And now it’s your turn.
Listen to each sentence.
Which word do you hear?
How do you spell the word that you hear?
Answers are at the bottom of the page.
3. The _____________ rose is a
beautiful plant that is easy to grow.
5. This lizard lives in the _____________.
6. What’s for _____________ tonight?
8. I like chocolate brownies, but they’re really too sweet.
I’d rather have a _____________ that’s less sweet.
1. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … My favorite dessert is vanilla ice cream.
2. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, watermelon…
a simple summer dessert.
3. /ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … The desert rose is a beautiful plant that is easy to grow.
4. /ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … This desert fox is on the lookout for food.
5. /ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … This lizard lives in the desert.
6. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … What’s for dessert tonight? Chocolate cupcakes.
7. /ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … This cactus grows in an arid desert.
8. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … I like chocolate brownies, but they’re really too sweet.
I’d rather have a dessert that’s less sweet.
9. /ˈdɛ-zɚt/ … This really is a barren desert.
It doesn’t look as though anything can grow here.
10. /dɪ-ˈzɚt/ … I’ll take a cup of coffee and for dessert…mmm,
let me see what you have.